Cougar Baseball extends its deepest concern and support of the game of baseball, its coaches, players, family and friends who have been impacted by the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation.
We continue to monitor the rapidly changing developments of COVID-19 and its impact on the 2020 H.S. spring season. We will continue to gather information as the situation evolves in order to make sound decisions moving forward. The health and welfare of everyone involved is the most important factor. We are bound by and will adhere to both CHSAA and Jeffco School District directives. Once officially received, we will forward such via email messaging and our V, JV MaxPreps text service. I also encourage each of you to read advisements as posted to CHSAA and Jeffco School District platforms.
I truly understand the level of frustration but ask that each of us be patient. I suggest that players focus on academics, time with family and with following enumerated best practices. This too will pass, and we will all be collectively stronger.
Rest assured that discussions are underway with various options being tabled regarding spring baseball, but the risk must be assessed since our overwhelming priority is your health and well-being.
I have entered into private discussions with a couple college coaches and our partners with Marucci and Victus in an effort to gauge interest in hosting a post COVID-19 H.S. level showcase or tournament at “local” college venues early to mid-summer. This would be after school gets out for the summer and only if the COVID-19 risk has been addressed. I do not want to get ahead of myself, but the goal would be to showcase H.S. teams, playing against other H.S. teams (non-CHSAA) in front of college recruiters. This doesn’t mean that I have given up on a spring season it only means that I am thinking out of the box and there is significant interest in doing this. I also want our seniors to see that we are aware of their situation. There is hope, again please be patient. We will be out on our baseball field and we will make sure that there is time to practice and “re-condition” our student-athletes but only after it is safe, and such has been coordinated with vetted, subject matter experts. Out of an “over abundance of caution” I am erroring on the side of caution and adhering to issued guidance.
CHSAA directives follow State of Colorado Executive Order(s) and they are appropriate and warranted. CHSAA encourages local high schools to evaluate their unique situations and to communicate directly with our internal stakeholders. To that end, we have all heard about the need for social distancing. Our District Executive Director of Athletics and Activities has issued further guidance about sports holding “captain workouts.” These types of gatherings are not allowed at this time since they would in principle violate the tenants of these issued Executive Order(s). I recognize the need for player conditioning but ask that players be smart. Please recognize the importance of following issued directives and guidance especially now. This is serious and remember it is about protecting you, our families and our community. We are stronger working together and progress is being made.
Thank you all.
John F. Lipka
EHS Head Baseball Coach